Driving Safety Course
In order to be eligible for the Drivers Safety Course (DSC), the following requirements must be met:
- The defendant must request the drivers safety course, either in writing or in person on or before the defendants court appearance date listed on the defendants citation below their signature.
- The defendant must submit a payment of $106.10 with request unless in a school zone the amount due will be $131.10.
- The defendant must be charged with a qualifying offense. (moving violation or involving the operation or a motor vehicle)
- The defendant must enter a plea of guilty or no contest.
- The defendant must have a valid TEXAS drivers license or permit or must be a member, spouse or dependant child of a member of the U.S. military forces serving on active duty and provide proof to the court.
- The defendent must have proof of financial responsibility (insurance) under the Motor Vehicle Act and provide proof to the court.
- The defendant must not hold a Class A or B Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
- The defendant must not have completed a DSC for dismissal of a citation in the last 12 months.
If the defendant is under the age of 17, the defendant will need to appear before the judge. (contact court for Judges hours)
Mandatory DSC is not available for certain excepted offenses like such:
- Speeding 95mph or more;
- Speeding 25 mph or more over limit;
- Fail to remain at collision scene;
- Duty to give information and aid;
- Overtaking and passing a school bus;
- Offenses committed in a construction or maintenance work zone while workers are present, except:
- Inspection Offenses
- Pedestrian Offenses
- Safety Belt and Child Safety Seat Offenses
The City of Ennis Municipal Court does not accept personal checks. Payments must be made by cash, money order, cashiers check or may be paid with a credit card at the court. Payments for the DSC cannot be made online. You will receive approval and instructions in the mail shortly after the court receives your request. Do not take the course before you receive the approval from the Ennis Municipal Court.
You may mail your request to the following address:
P.O. Box 220
Ennis, TX 75120