- Get Directions
- About the Library
- Library Programs
- Computer & Online Services
AARP Tax Assistance Information for 2017
OUR SERVICES WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM FEBRUARY 7th THROUGH APRIL 11th AT THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS:
TUESDAYS 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM @ The Ennis Public Library 501 W. Ennis Ave. Ennis, TX 75119
THURSDAYS 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM @ The Sims Library 515 Main St. Waxahachie, TX 75165
Here are the most important things taxpayers should know:
- Our services are free, and include electronic filing.
- Taxpayers do not have to be elderly or members of AARP.
- We are busiest the first few weeks of February. If taxpayers are patient and come in later in the season we will probably not be as busy and the wait will probably be shorter.
- Married taxpayers should both come to the site unless one is incapacitated.
- We do not prepare returns for married taxpayers that want to file Married Filing Separately.
- We do not prepare extremely complicated returns; however, we will assist taxpayers with such returns and advise them what steps they should take to get their return completed.
- Counselors may not be present for the entire posted hours if no taxpayers are present for assistance.
This service is provided by the AARP Foundation in co-operation with the IRS.
Taxpayers should bring with them:
- A copy of any return for 2015.
- All tax related documents for 2016 such as: W-2s, 1099s, SSA-1099, broker’s statements showing dividends, interest, capital gains distributions, or sale of capital assets (stocks, bonds, real estate).
- Social security cards for all taxpayers and all dependents.
- Date of birth for all dependents and taxpayers.
- Amount of any property taxes paid in 2016 (part or all may be deducted if you itemize.)
- Information on the purchase and installation in 2016 of insulation or energy efficient items for you home (possible credit).
- Information on any college tuition or other college expenses paid in 2016.
- Dates and amounts of any estimated tax payments made to the IRS for 2016 or applied from the 2015 tax return.
Our counselors will also be glad to answer any questions that are posed to us. If we can’t answer them, we will refer the taxpayers to someone who can.
Note!!! This site is not trained or certified to prepare tax returns that included:
- Cancellation of Debt-1099-A and/or 1099-C and Form 982.
- Health Savings Accounts-Form 1099SA and Form 8889.
For more information visit AARP Tax-Aide.
The following guide is for those interested in filing their own taxes online: